If you love lobsters, Pengerang is the place to go!
Had been to these place for quite some time ago, they serve very fresh and tasty lobsters and of cos, other seafood dishes! The lobsters are fresh, and cooked in many various ways, deep-fried, stir-fried, steam…no matter how the cooking method is, the flesh of lobster is very succulent and tasty.
(1) Jade Garden Seafood Restaurant (翡翠园海鲜酒家）
Address: 54 Jalan Kerisi Sungai Rengit, 81620 Pengerang, Johor
(2) Good Luck Seafood Restaurant (泗湾幸运海鲜酒楼）
Address: 86, Jalan Telok Ramunia, Sungai Rengit, Pengerang, Johor. Tel: 013-7753555
The dishes offered by these two restaurants are comparably similar. The environment and setting of the restaurants are slightly different. Jade Garden has a large parking space opposite its restaurant, they have more staff to serve customers (although during peak hours, they are still unable to cope with the huge in flow of customers), they have divider which can separate a private area for customers upon request), the shop floor is big. Good Luck looks like a normal kopitiam, not many staff to serve customers, no extra parking space. Both restaurants open for lunch and dinner. The food served by both restaurants are equivalently nice. However my personal opinion is that the price is slightly cheaper in Good Luck Seafood Restaurant. Both restaurants are super crowded during weekends, especially for lunch, do expect it will be very hard to find a parking for your car and be prepared it’s gonna take you to wait for 1 hr or even more to just get a table to sit down.
1) Stir-fried Lala (Clams) with dried chili and spring onion. Very tasty and a bit spicy, smells good! Yet, I still prefer steam or cook Lala with a lil bit of HuaDiao Wine (Cooking wine which made of rice). The soup of steamed/cooked Lala is superb with a combination of the sweetness and freshness of the Lala, ginger and wine. I just cant help drinking until the bowl is empty.
2) Chili crab, remember to order some deep-friend bun(man tou, 馒头). The sauce of chili crab best matched with the deep-fried bun, just imagine when the bun fully absorb the aromatic, delicious sauce…~yummy!
3) Yam paste with pumpkin. This is my favourite for all the time! It is a traditional Teochew dessert, because the cooking process is quite time-consuming and troublesome, it is hard to find restaurants selling this dish nowadays. So happy to find it on the menu of Jade Garden!
Here comes the main attraction of Pengerang, lobsters! Some people like to order deep dried-lobsters with cereal, or stir-fried. I would strongly recommend not to try those first, cos the best and most famous lobster dish in Pengerang is this- cooked in thick stock (上汤龙虾）. The sauce is a lil bit creamy, with a bit of herbal taste. All the seasoning tastes light, so that you can taste the freshness of the lobsters. Best lobster dish that I have ever had!
As there is quite a distance between Johor Bahru and Pengerang, this can be a whole day relaxing trip rather than a mere food trip, Desaru is just nearby, next to Pengerang!
It was a sunny morning. A trip full of sunshine!!!! This is one of the bridge on Senai-Desaru highway.
It was about evening time after eating, the Desaru beach was full of people. There were people and kids playing kites, BBQ and picnic. It was very windy with sea breeze! blue blue sky with a lot of laughter!
Everybody deserves such a good weekend!